A glimpse of China's first all-girls school
The Yongjiang Girls Middle School was rebuilt in early 1949 after it was destroyed in the War of Resistance against Japanese Aggression. [Photo provided to chinadaily.com.cn]
China's first all-girls school was established by a British missionary in 1844 in Ningbo, East China's Zhejiang province.
The school was located in Zhuduqiao, which is today the east end of Shangshu Street. Students were subsidized to attend the school.
The school offered courses including Bible studies, Chinese and math and provided training for sewing and embroidery.
The school was later renamed Yongjiang Girls Middle School after merging with two other schools.
A three-story, Western style teaching complex that could accommodate nearly 600 students was later built. This complex featured supporting facilities such as piano rooms and laboratories.
The school was rebuilt in 1949 after it was destroyed in the War of Resistance against Japanese Aggression. In 1995, the school changed its name to Ningbo Yongjiang Vocational High School.
November 25, 2021
November 24, 2021